Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Blog#1 Hugo screening

I never heard of the film Hugo before class. I went into watching this film not knowing what to expect at all, I didn't the plot or any of the main characters.The start of the movie was slow for me, the beginning clearly gave a certain significance towards the idea of clocks but there was no dialogue for like the first 5 minutes. I instantly knew that one of the main characters would be the who they showed behind the face of the train stations clock; the reason being that he was the first person the film really focused on. The introduction wasn't bad, but I would have preferred it if they got into more of Hugo's background life and why his personality and lifestyle was the way it is before he first spoke with Papa George. For example, the first understanding we have of Hugo is a bit confusing; is he a criminal thief troubled child? or an innocent boy just  trying to make his way? At first we see him trying to steal machine pieces and then we see him stealing food, something that seems necessary for daily survival. As the film went on and I began to understand even more, it became much more interesting and started to draw my attention in. I began to ask myself questions and make connections. I truly enjoyed the film but my opinion of it would be a MEH. Reason being that it was a great movie academically related but I don't think I personally would pay to see it in theaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment